February 20, 2005

Other George Syndrome

I went to GW undergrad, so I can attest to how often people confuse George Washington with Georgetown. I could probably throw in some vulgar, anti-Catholic reference to illustrate the distinction, but I've little love for GW right now and therefore won't. Suffice to say, they're named after the King (I believe - just like Charleston, Virginia, Carolina and so forth are all named for royals) and GW is named for the big guy himself. I can only imagine how bad it must be at George Mason, being lowly George #3.

Of course, GW is also confused with Washington University (in St. Louis) and occasionally with schools in Washington state. It doesn't help the confusion that I'm from St. Louis. Most people recognize the school, though. And hey, my old school WAS mentioned nearly twice in the Tom Hanks movie Big.

And by the way, the team name for Manhattan is the Jaspers? That really sounds vaguely racist (I have no idea what it signifies). Why not call them the Reubens?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ed. said...

At Siena we liked to chant, "What's a Jasper?" at basketball games against Manhattan.

Actually, the college was founded by priest named Father Jasper. That doesn't explain why anybody thought it was a good idea, but it's at least the etymology of the name. :P

February 22, 2005 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home